Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards 2021
Now in their 28th year, the Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards celebrate the wonderful achievements of the Victorian museum and gallery sector. We recognise that 2021 has been another year of upheaval and change and unfortunately because of the ongoing uncertainty our awards ceremony will again be a free online event. Please do join us to celebrate our sector’s resilience in times of uncertainty that has been 2021 and recognise the amazing work carried out by individuals and organisations even through these challenging times.
This year the Awards Ceremony will be a special online presentation where we as a community celebrate people whose passion, resilience and work build a strong Victorian museum and gallery sector. One of our special guests will be Danny Pearson MP, Minister for Creative Industries and our MC will be the delightful Patrick Watt.
Objectives of the Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards
The Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards recognise outstanding achievements and service in the museum, gallery, and collecting sector. This prestigious event celebrates organisations and individuals whose passion and work build a strong Victorian museum and gallery industry. The objectives of the Awards are to:
- Raise awareness of museums and galleries as effective vehicles for engagement with ideas and communities.
- Reward and encourage best practice by individuals and organisations.
- Celebrate the value of museums and galleries to local and wider community groups.
2021 Awards Categories
- The AMaGA (Victoria) Award for Excellence (volunteer)
- The AMaGA (Victoria) Award for Excellence (paid Staff)
- Martin Hallett Award for individual contribution to Community Heritage
Individual category winners receive the following prizes valued at over $400:
- One-year membership of AMaGA
- One copy of Exhibition Design for Galleries & Museums: An Insider's View.
- Two complimentary tickets to an AMaGA Victoria seminar or event.
- A gift voucher of $75.
- The Archival Survival Award for volunteer-run museums/galleries (up to 1 EFT paid staff)
- The Archival Survival Award for small museums/galleries (2-7 paid staff)
- The AMaGA (Victoria) Award for medium museums/galleries (8-50 paid staff)
- The AMaGA (Victoria) Award for large museums/galleries (51+ paid staff)
Nominations are now closed.
Victorian Collections Awards for Excellence in museum cataloguing
These Awards acknowledge the hard work undertaken by organisations that are cataloguing their collections online using Victorian Collections, and are judged on the number of artefacts catalogued, the proportion of items catalogued with accompanying photos, the quality of the records, the depth of historical research involved, and the percentage of records made public.
There are four Victorian Collections Awards:
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in museum cataloguing (volunteer-run organisations)
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in museum cataloguing (organisations with paid staff)
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in museum cataloguing (war heritage collection)
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in museum cataloguing (gallery and civic art collection)
Photo: Lawrence Leung, MC at the Victorian Museum Awards 2019, NGV International. Photo by Simon Fox, Deakin University.