Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards 2022
Now in their 29th year, the Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards celebrate the wonderful achievements of the Victorian museum and gallery sector. We recognise that 2022 has been another year of upheaval and change, but we are looking forward to hosting the awards ceremony in person at the State Library Victoria on 4 October. We hope that you will join us to celebrate the sector’s resilience in times of uncertainty and acknowledge the amazing work being undertaken by Victorian organisations and their staff and volunteers.
Nominations are now closed.
Objectives of the Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards
The Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards recognise outstanding achievements and service in the museum, gallery, and collecting sector. This prestigious event celebrates organisations and individuals whose passion and work build a strong Victorian museum and gallery industry. The objectives of the Awards are to:
- raise awareness of museums and galleries as effective vehicles for engagement with ideas and communities;
- reward and encourage best practice by individuals and organisations; and
- celebrate the value of museums and galleries to local and wider community groups.
2022 Awards Categories
- The AMaGA Victoria Award for Excellence (volunteer)
- The AMaGA Victoria Award for Excellence (paid staff)
- Martin Hallett Award for individual contribution to community heritage
Individual category winners receive the following prizes valued at over $400:
- One-year membership for AMaGA
- One copy of Exhibition Design for Galleries & Museums: An Insider's View
- Two complimentary tickets to an AMaGA Victoria seminar or event
The Martin Hallett Award winner will receive:
- A digital copy of the recently published book Museums, Collections and Communities: Reflections on the life of Martin Hallett
There are four organisational awards, based on operational budget:
- The Archival Survival Award for Volunteer-run Organisations (no paid staff)
- The Archival Survival Award for Small Organisations (less than $1 million operational budget)
- The AMaGA Victoria Award for Medium Organisations ($1-10 million operational budget)
- The AMaGA Victoria Award for Large Organisations (over $10 million operational budget)
Victorian Collections Awards for Excellence in museum cataloguing
These Awards acknowledge the hard work undertaken by organisations in documenting and cataloguing their collections online using Victorian Collections. Organisations are judged on the number of items catalogued, the proportion of items catalogued with accompanying photos, the quality of the records, the depth of historical research involved, and the percentage of records made public. There are four Victorian Collections award categories:
There are four Victorian Collections award categories:
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in Museum Cataloguing (volunteer-run organisations)
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in Museum Cataloguing (organisations with paid staff)
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in Museum Cataloguing (war heritage collections)
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in museum cataloguing (gallery and civic art collections)
Photo: Lawrence Leung, MC at the Victorian Museum Awards 2019, NGV International. Photo by Simon Fox, Deakin University.