Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards 2021
The 2021 Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards online presentation was held on Tuesday 5 October by AMaGA Victoria. The night was hosted by Patrick Watt, and included a special address by Danny Pearson MP, Minister for Creative Industries
The Awards, now in their 28th year, are conducted annually to highlight outstanding achievements in the Victorian museum, gallery, and collecting sector. This special event raises awareness of museums and galleries as effective vehicles for engagement with ideas and communities, rewards and encourages best practice by individuals and organisations, and recognises the value of museums and galleries within the community.
Objectives of the Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards
The Victorian Museums and Galleries Awards recognise outstanding achievements and service in the museum, gallery, and collecting sector. This prestigious event celebrates organisations and individuals whose passion and work build a strong Victorian museum and gallery industry. The objectives of the Awards are to:
- Raise awareness of museums and galleries as effective vehicles for engagement with ideas and communities.
- Reward and encourage best practice by individuals and organisations.
- Celebrate the value of museums and galleries to local and wider community groups.
2021 Awards Categories
- The AMaGA Victoria Award for Excellence (volunteer)
- The AMaGA Victoria Award for Excellence (paid staff)
- Martin Hallett Award for individual contribution to community heritage
Individual category winners receive the following prizes valued at over $400:
- One-year membership for AMaGA
- One copy of Exhibition Design for Galleries & Museums: An Insider's View (volunteer or paid staff winner) OR book on the life and work of Martin Hallett (forthcoming; Martin Hallett Award winner)
- Two complimentary tickets to an AMaGA Victoria seminar or event
- The Archival Survival Award for volunteer-run museums/galleries (up to 1 EFT paid staff)
- The Archival Survival Award for small museums/galleries (2-7 paid staff)
- The AMaGA Victoria Award for medium museums/galleries (8-50 paid staff)
- The AMaGA Victoria Award for large museums/galleries (51+ paid staff)
Archival Survival Award winners for volunteer-run and small museums/galleries receive a gift voucher of $1000 from Archival Survival.
Nominations are now closed.
Victorian Collections Awards for Excellence in museum cataloguing
These Awards acknowledge the hard work undertaken by organisations that are cataloguing their collections online using Victorian Collections, and are judged on the number of artefacts catalogued, the proportion of items catalogued with accompanying photos, the quality of the records, the depth of historical research involved, and the percentage of records made public.
There are four Victorian Collections Awards:
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in museum cataloguing (volunteer-run organisations)
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in museum cataloguing (organisations with paid staff)
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in museum cataloguing (war heritage collection)
- Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in museum cataloguing (gallery and civic art collection)
Photo: Lawrence Leung, MC at the Victorian Museum Awards 2019, NGV International. Photo by Simon Fox, Deakin University.