Victorian Collections: Managing Your Collection
Mon 17 Oct, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
*Please see the note section for information regarding multiple booking discounts and procedures.*
This online workshop provides an introduction to the principles of collections management and catalogue documentation. Participants will learn how to best physically manage their collection items as well as digitally document them using Victorian Collections: a free, web-based and easy-to-use collections management system.
Topics covered in this workshop include:
- Introduction to preservation and access
- Introduction to the VC system
- Introduction to collections management
- Copyright considerations
- Access considerations (legal and cultural requirements)
- Basic account administration
- Cataloguing practical session*
* We ask that participants bring along an object from their collection to catalogue; however, if you do not have access to your collection or are not associated with a collecting organisation, we will provide you with a document from which to work.
Victorian Collections workshops offer a relaxed and open environment and cater for participants with any degree of museum and computer literacy, as well as ongoing support for small to medium-sized collecting organisations. If you have any particular questions about this workshop, please feel free to get in touch via our Helpdesk.
- You are not required to be a contributing member of Victorian Collections to participate.
- Details on how to join the webinar will be provided to you the week prior to the workshop.
- Multiple booking discount: a discounted rate is offered to attendees booking all three Victorian Collections workshops (Introduction to Digitisation, Managing Your Collection and Making Your Collection Accessible). For Students, AMaGA members, or non-members from volunteer organisations, a discounted rate of $40 for three workshops is offered. For non-members from organisations with paid staff, a discounted rate of $70 for three workshops is offered. Please select "Multiple booking discount" from the payment option for each workshop and secure your booking. Following this, contact the Victorian Collections team by submitting a ticket to our Helpdesk and we will issue an invoice for payment.
If you prefer not to book online, please contact us directly.
Download Annual Program 2022
Read the Event Booking Policy.
AMaGA Victoria also offers On Demand Training on a range of museum practices.