Jun 20, 2019
SMALL MUSEUMS CATALOGUING MANUAL UPDATE PROJECT
Since the 4th edition was published in 2009, cataloguing practice has changed significantly, most notably in a move away from paper-based records, and increasing ‘born digital’ collecting. The 5th edition of the Manual will address these evolving facets of our practice and be available as a web-based resource and series of downloadable PDFs on the AMaGA Victoria website. As a reflection of our ever-expanding and diverse collecting community, the revised Manual will also contain additional information about managing gallery, library and archive collections.
In line with this expansion, AMaGA Victoria has formed a Project Advisory Committee to provide specialist expertise and guidance. The Committee is comprised of representatives from across the Gallery, Library, Archives and Museum Sector:
- Cameron Auty, Manager, Burke Museum and Historic Precinct
- Kim Burrell, University Archivist, Victoria University
- Rachael Cottle, Curator, El Dorado Museum Association, Research Associate, Museums Victoria
- Ali Hayes-Brady, Digital Archivist, Monash University
- Jillian Hiscock, Collection Manager and Volunteer Coordinator, Royal Historical Society Victoria
- JD Mittman, Curator and Manager of Collections, Burrinja Cultural Centre
AMaGA Victoria are excited to renew and refresh this vital resource which has, and will continue to connect community organisations with best practice cataloguing, collections care and digitisation. With knowledge of these concepts, community collecting organisations can increasingly work towards comprehensive and discoverable documentation of their collections, and in turn aid access to shared heritage by members of our wider community.
Over the coming months, we will keep you up to date with the development of the 5th edition. In the meantime, you can check out the current resources on the AMaGA Victoria resources page.